The triumphs and travails of my foray into the world of athleticism.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Training is hard 'n stuff...

I've had a slightly frustrating week, with the return of The Calf Cramp. I've been able to get past it, though.


This evening I went to the track for the first time. Even though the walking coach wasn't there, it was pretty good and I pushed myself more than I have before. My mentor kept telling me that I'd be totally dead afterwards and asked me if I was super tired when we were done, but I really wasn't then. I was fine the whole way home, took a shower, all was well. Then I sat down. Oh, and it was just a world of hurt. I was *supposed* to make dinner for Seth, but by the time he got home, I was just sort of a whining mass of hurt, sitting there on the chair and icing my butt, ahem, sorry "saddlebag area" and my feet, knee, ankle. My dear husband took pity on me and made dinner while I took a hot hot bath. It was wonderful. Both the dinner and the bath.


One of the women that I've ended up walking with a few times is both a mentor and an honoree. She appears to be in her 50s, has been cancer-free for 21 months now and is working on her third half-marathon. One of the first chemotherapies that she had was discovered by researchers with LLS.


A man that I met Saturday was diagnosed with leukemia three years ago and is now what the doctors call "stabilized", but he has finished a marathon, a triathalon, and a century ride. It may sound corny, but it really is inspiring to meet and train with these people. I want to talk about them and tell their stories because it is about them. Yes, I want to get in shape and go to Hawaii. I'm not pretending to be completely selfless. But the more that I learn about our honorees, I feel more and more invested in the mission and really want to make them proud. I want to raise as much money as I possibly can to help more people. Okay, I'll stop now- but I do mean it. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home