The triumphs and travails of my foray into the world of athleticism.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

short update

I'm doing the Kaiser 1/2 Marathon on Feb 3, and that should be good. I'm shooting for 3.5 hours or less. That's 1/2 hour off my Nike time. I think that's doable with running part of the time.

A friend asked me to train for a triathlon, so I said that I'd start swimming and see. Last night I did laps for the first time, oh, ever. Doing my own thing and just trying to keep moving from one end of the pool to the other, I did 10 laps in 20 minutes. Some underwater, some freestyle, lots on my back. But I did it, and it was better than I thought. I had it in my head that a half mile was 33 laps, but that's a full mile. So the race is a half mile of swimming, which is 16.5 laps, and I did 10. Wahoo!! I probably could have done that last night. But it will be in a lake where I can't stop and stand there catching my breath. I do have 4 months to get in better shape, and I can always float and catch my breath. The next item is whether or not I'll have to borrow a wet suit. I'll have to practice swimming in that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home