The triumphs and travails of my foray into the world of athleticism.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Wandering through the Redwoods

Saturday we were at a park in Marin county walking along twisty roads and shady trails, and it was a really great walk. The best part is that the walkers pretty much stayed together, so there were about 8 of us walking in a bunch most of the time. We took some wrong turns and had to backtrack a bit, so a few of us made the executive decision that we would just turn around after a certain amount of time. I had a great time talking with my teammates and I only had pain for a little while. There was one point where I wondered if I should turn back, but I decided to keep going and the pain went away and I was able to stay pretty constant. I believe that I could have gone faster than the pace of chat, but it was lovely to not be walking alone like I often do.

I had my MRI on Wednesday, so we shall see if anything shows up there. At this point, there's not a whole lot that could be done about anything that shows up, so I'll just keep listening to my body and keeping up my pokey pace. We'll address the problem later, because as psychotic as this sounds, I do want to keep doing this. I want to do a full marathon, or at least do a fast half next.

For this race, I've decided to walk the half-marathon (13.1 miles) instead of the full due to my lack-o-speed. I'm a little bit disappointed because a snotty, overly competitive part of my brain feels like the half isn't that much of a challenge, but for my legs, clearly it is. The main issue is that it's when I try to go faster that I get The Cramp, and I really would need to pick up the pace to finish the marathon in the time that the course is open, so I can't do it this time. I figure that if my legs don't want to cooperate on race day, I can drag myself 13.1 miles even if it takes me as long as the full marathoners. Huzzah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home