The triumphs and travails of my foray into the world of athleticism.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Running is going well

Today's run was good, even though it was a bit wonky.  I was feeling overwhelmed and needed to run & think & talk to God, so I put Underwood in the car & we went to the creek.  When we got there I realized that I forgot my watch, so my splits were going to be a bit random/haphazard/whathaveyou. 

Being in a bit of a funk, I wanted to listen to music and run a bit farther than usual, but I knew that I also needed to interact with God, so instead of putting on my usual tunes, some of which are quite angry, I listened to KLOVE the whole time.  I didn't turn it off once, and I even listened to cheesy songs.  I just needed to worship and be outside and move and get happy.  Thankfully, they even played one of my fave running songs, "O Praise Him" by the David Crowder Band. 

I've been doing pretty well with my splits lately.  I've been mixing together the Galloway method and some Chi running technique, so I keep telling myself "slow and loose, slow and loose!" when I'm running. Today, I had a water bottle in my hand, though, which doesn't lend itself to a relaxed upper body.  It may be time for a fuel belt, since I plan on starting to train again for races, which means longer runs and more water needed. 

Since my running has been getting better, I'm noticing that I'm not looking at my watch so often, waiting for the split to be over.  Quite often, I end up running over the time, since I don't have a beepy noise to tell me when to walk.  That's why I didn't feel so off about not having my watch today:  I knew that my body would do what it needed to do.  I'm sure that some of my splits in the beginning were longer than they should be (on the running side) and that they likely turned around a bit to be longer on the walking side on the way back.  But my pace wasn't too bad (not fantastic) and I'm glad that I went out.

I have a little bit of tingly/bratty feeling on the left shin, which isn't the one that normally bothers me, but I also know that it may be new shoe time, and I bumped up my mileage a bit, so I'm not too concerned.  Depending upon how the shin feels tomorrow, I may run again instead of going to the gym. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home