The triumphs and travails of my foray into the world of athleticism.

Monday, September 18, 2006

11, no wait- 10 Miles

This week I didn't have the car, so I wasn't able to join my team for Saturday's training and I walked on the trail here on my own. My plan was to get up early, ride my scooter down the road a bit, and walk to the next town over and back. Well, I did get up early, but it was in the 40's, and it is just too stinkin' cold to ride when it is that cold, so I went back to bed for a while. (Oh, twist my arm.)

I got back up and headed out around 11. I parked my scooter and walked towards home for about 2 miles and then went to Sebastopol, which is about 5 miles west. It was mostly nice at first because it was a pretty day, I ran into a woman from ADI and one of the dogs, so that was cool, and there are NO HILLS!

The snags started when I ran out of water at mile 2, and the drinking fountain on the trail wasn't working. That actually didn't turn out to be as bad as I thought it could be, but I wasn't thrilled. The real problem was that I choose poorly in the underwear & pants department. That may be too much information for you, but I'm sorry. I was in some serious pain once I got down to Sebastopol, and wondered if I could go on- not that I had a choice. So I was very glad to get into town where I gulped down some water and took a potty break at a cafe. I was supposed to wander in town a bit to get in an 11th mile, but I just didn't have it in me.

The walk back wasn't too horrible, although I whined to myself a bit at first, moaned about my feet, and sat on a bench and called Seth to make him encourage me. Oh, and I was constantly checking where I was in relation to the main road in case I needed to dramatically fall to the ground and have him come get me. But I obviously made it. Once the road where I parked my scooter was in blurry sight, I started doing some sort of "You go, girl!" chant to myself.

Something cool was that I wasn't really sore at all that day- at least not how I normally am sore, and aside from the chaffing (hey! It's my blog!). I didn't have time to nap before church, so I suppose that my body didn't harden into the fetal position like normal. My feet were fine and everything! So, I guess I'll try not to nap from now on. We'll see about that.

Another cool thing is that Seth noticed that my legs are thinner. That is very nice, indeed. I'm just hoping that my friends and family in MI will notice, since I'm not tons skinnier or anything. I just don't want, "Oh. I thought you would have lost a lot of weight by now."

Next Saturday, we're in San Francisco walking the course! I am very excited. Or should I say "stoked"? I do live in CA now.

Sidenote: a song that I almost always get in my head while waking is "I've Got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy Down in My Heart". I guess that I walk at the right pace for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home