The triumphs and travails of my foray into the world of athleticism.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

It rocked, then sucked, then was okay, then sucked again. But overall rocked.

Yesterday I did 11 miles in San Francisco on the the Nike course, and it was mostly wonderful. First, the weather was absolutely gorgeous. I didn't even notice until later that when we met at 8am, it wasn't even slightly cold, and we were right on the bay. I was nervous going into this training, because I guess I was afraid that on the actual course it would be too hard or something. I don't know what I thought, but I was nervous, and it was for nothing.

I pretty much felt awesome for 1/3 or so- I ran a bit on some of the downhills, I was full of energy and endorphins, and it was all geeky pumped-upedness. Then came the Hill from Heck. I mean, it isn't the absolute worst or anything, but it was fairly steep both up and down, so we were hurting. My knees really didn't love the bottom of the downhill portion. There was about another mile or so after that point, then we had to turn around and go back to where we started. Yay!

This was a really difficult walk-our hardest training yet-because there are very few flat parts of SF. It's flat along the waterfront, where we'll be starting, but once you start heading up, it is just variable degrees of incline and length of hills. So, while I loved our first downhill and actually ran a bit because it wasn't *too* steep, it was really a bear to go back up because it was so...stinking...long!!!! The good thing is that we dont' have to do that in the real race, so this was actually quite a bit harder than the race will be. And that's awesome, because now we half-a-thoners have basically done the last half of the course and know what it's like, and that we can do it. Race day, we'll be saying, "Psssh! This is nothing! We don't have to go back up!"

It was also a very beautiful walk, which is easy to do in such a great city. We followed the coast under the Golden Gate and around some cliffs for a while, then we headed into the Sea Cliff neighborhood and- Holy Cow!! Some RICH people with beatiful houses and views are in there! After that neighborhood, we just had a few blocks in normal, ugly-ish city, then we were out at the coast again by the historic Cliff House restaurant and Ocean Beach with its windmill.

On the way back, there was a red-tail hawk hovering in the air and diving and hunting, and it was so wonderful to watch. We stood right under it for a few minutes while it just hung there looking at us and the water alternately. It was really awesome.

Being that my average speed doesn't ever seem to change, I didn't really care about it this week. That's why I say "we" so much in this log, because I just stayed with people this time and mostly walked with my friend, Kaaren, so she wouldn't have to be alone, and so that we could spur each other on for the return hills. On race day, though, there will be so many people that nobody will be alone, and I'll try to use my fast pace.

Next week- Michigan!! I'll probably be on Hines drive by myself on Sunday, then with the TNT Detroit chapter in Kensington the next week, if I stay in town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home